THE THATCH HOUSE
The Thatch House, resting on the bank of the Hermanus lagoon, is an upmarket boutique hotel with breathtaking views of the ancient Cape Fold Mountains to one side and the Lagoon to the other. This exclusive boutique hotel offers peace, tranquillity, total privacy and a restful escape from the city in an exquisite setting.
The soulful property, luxurious guest spaces, exceptional cuisine and personalized service creates the ideal canvas to create lasting memories in a destination that is rich with activities and experiences.
The 1,500 square meter boutique property has been exquisitely appointed to offer guests a sense of home. Our expansive and luxurious suites, in and outdoor living areas, games room and gym are designed to create a sense of welcoming and belonging.
Our food and wine experience emphasizes dining that is delicious, fresh and healthy. We only use fresh seasonal ingredients, prepared to offer authentic and appetizing dining.
The 2 hectares of lovingly manicured gardens provides endless opportunities to enjoy some “us” time with loved ones far away from the noise and busyness of every day. It is also full of activities for guests, which includes:
- Games room
- Flood lit tennis court
- Chipping and putting green
- Boule game
- Play areas for children, including a huge tree house and 2 trampolines
- 2 Swimming pools
The lagoon offers paddling, SUPing or simply enjoying a picnic or sun-downer at the water’s edge. The hotel has a private boat for a sun set cruise or water ski (private boat cruises, which is captained by a licensed skipper, are offered at an additional charge).
Terry, the general manager, and the team are passionate about creating personalized experiences for our guests.
What to expect in our luxury holiday villa:
- Breathtaking setting on the bank of the lagoon
- Vast, elegant and luxuriously styled suites.
- Two swimming pools.
- A gym, putting green, croquet & floodlit tennis court.
- On-site chef provides all inclusive dining experience
- Full-time staff provide full service.
- Kids’ jungle gym, games room & movies.
- Complete privacy and security.
What to do at the villa:
- Paddle the lagoon
- Laze by the pool
- Enjoy a good book in the library
- Arrange a wine tasting over lunch
- Request a picnic at the lagoon
- Stroll down to the jetty with your kids and some fishing tackle to try your luck
- Take the boat across the lagoon to Grotto Beach
- Get active: play tennis, climb the tree house, bounce on the trampolines, swim in the pools or the lagoon
What to do in the area:
- See the whales (by kayaking up close, or from the cliff paths in Hermanus, or by boat (they visit between July and November).
- Enjoy some pamper time at the nearby spa or request a therapist to visit your suite.
- Play golf at world class courses (Arabella and Hermanus Golf Club)
- Dive with sharks. (Trips leave from Gansbaai, a 35-minute drive away.)
- Enjoy shopping, restaurants and Saturday markets in pretty Hermanus.
- Taste great wines in the Hemel en Aarde (Heaven and Earth) Valley.
- Go hiking and mountain biking in the fynbos-covered mountains.